Trinity Triathlon attracts 500 competitors to one of the largest events of its kind in the UK.
Some 500 youngsters aged 8-19 years took part in the Trinity Triathlon. They swam, ran and cycled in, what turned out to be, perfect weather conditions last Sunday 3rd July. One of the largest events of its kind in the UK, this sixth Trinity Triathlon has once more attracted a record number of participants.
Set up by Trinity School (Croydon) in the run up to the Olympic Games in 2011 with the support of the Crystal Palace Triathlon Club, Trinity Triathlon has enjoyed growing success. Numbers of entries have grown from 140 in its first year to 500 in 2016.
Rob Brookman from Trinity School, Event Director, said: “It was a real pleasure to welcome so many athletes for another successful Trinity Triathlon. The marshalling was outstanding throughout the morning and I want to say a huge thank you to the 100 or more volunteers involved in making the event one of the biggest children’s triathlons in country.”
Triathlon England commented: “Trinity School yet again put on a fantastic triathlon, with the event this morning I think bigger and better than ever before. It is staggering the amount of organisation needed to deliver an event of this magnitude so well, but Jane, Rob, Tim and all the team managed it all to perfection.”
Many parents of competitors, some seasoned triathletes others complete novices, took the trouble to write in to say how much their children had enjoyed the event: “Thank you again for another great year of Trinity Triathlon. It was a really well organised and enjoyable experience for all our 4 children who raced. Well worth getting up so early for!” (Parent)
Some key facts about Trinity Triathlon:
- The event was established as an Olympic legacy event for youth involvement in sport; it was first held in 2011 and then every year since
- Children aged 8 to 19 can compete, with the 17-19 category a new age group event since 2014
- For some 50% of competitors the Trinity event is their first ever Triathlon
- Entries have increased year on year: from 140 in 2011 to 500 in 2016
- Trinity Triathlon was named Triathlon England Best Children’s Event 2015 and Event of the Year 2013 for the London Region
- The entire event is run by volunteers and involves cooperation with TFL, Croydon Council, Crystal Palace Triathlon Club and local residents - it is a real community event
- Trinity Triathlon attracts entries from all over South East England (including GB elite and first time triathletes) and puts Croydon on the map for what has become a major children’s sporting event.